Federal and County Tax Extensions
In an effort to help individuals and businesses during this challenging time, King County and the IRS have extended tax filing deadlines. Please see below for links to information from King County and the IRS.
King County Postpones Payment Deadline to June 1 for Individual Property Taxpayers
Individual residential and commercial taxpayers who pay property taxes themselves, rather than through their mortgage lender, can delay payment until June 1, 2020 due to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak.
Banks and other financial institutions that pay property taxes on behalf of their lending customers will still need to meet the original April 30 deadline.
For more information visit the King County website: www.kingcounty.gov/elected/executive/constantine/news/release/2020/March/30-property-tax-extension.aspx
IRS Filing and Payment Deadline Extended to July 15
The Treasury Department and the IRS are providing special tax filing and payment relief in response to the COVID-19 Outbreak. The filing deadline for tax returns has been extended from April 15 to July 15. The IRS urges taxpayers who are owed a refund to file as quickly as possible.
For those who can't file by the July 15, 2020 deadline, the IRS reminds individual taxpayers that everyone is eligible to request an extension to file their return.
This filing and payment relief includes:
- The 2019 income tax filing and payment deadlines for all taxpayers, are automatically extended until July 15.
- This relief applies to all individual returns, trusts, and corporations.
- This relief is automatic, taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS to qualify.
- This relief includes estimated tax payments for tax year 2020 that are due on April 15.
- Penalties and interest will begin to accrue on any remaining unpaid balances as of July 16.
Individual taxpayers who need additional time to file beyond the July 15 deadline can request a filing extension by filing Form 4868 through their tax professional, tax software or using the Free File link on IRS.gov. Businesses who need additional time must file Form 7004.
For more information, visit the IRS website: www.irs.gov/newsroom/payment-deadline-extended-to-july-15-2020