Results from the Mercer Island Business Survey
Earlier this summer, we collaborated with local consulting firm Hardwick Research, the Mercer Island Chamber of Commerce, and representatives from the Mercer Island business community to conduct a survey of all Island businesses. This project was funded via the Port of Seattle Economic Development Partnership grant program and had two main goals:
- Gather information regarding issues facing the Mercer Island business community, focusing primarily on COVID-19 related impacts
- Gather baseline data for long-range economic and community development efforts
The online survey was sent out to the more than 1,300 businesses registered on Mercer Island, and we received 269 individual responses (~20% response rate).
Click the graph above to read the full report PDF.
- The biggest challenges facing Mercer Island businesses due to the COVID-19 crisis include: a decline in business, understanding the State's COVID-19 phases and rules, and understanding Federal loan programs for COVID-19 impacts
- More than half of respondents have sought financial assistance during the pandemic, with most (39%) taking advantage of the Paycheck Protection Program.
- Only about a third of survey participants were aware of the City's Let's Talk page sharing COVID-19 resources for local businesses.
- Overall, business want information, connections, and City programs/assistance during and after the COVID-19 crisis.
The full report, including detailed findings, recommendations from Hardwick Research, and the survey questions, can be viewed here.
Over the next several months, City staff will work with City Council, the Chamber, and local businesses to translate the results into continued and new actions to support our local business community. Stay tuned to Let's Talk for exciting updates, including information about a new marketing campaign launching in October to support Island businesses.
The City of Mercer Island wants to support local businesses during this uncertain time. Contact Sarah Bluvas, EOC Small Business Liaison, at email@example.com to let us know how we can help.