MI Thrift Shop Resumes Donations Collection (with Process Changes)
Clean out those closets!
Beginning October 31, the City’s Thrift Shop will resume accepting donations by temporarily relocating all donation center operations to the Mercer Island Community and Event Center (8236 SE 24th Street). This will allow more space for processing and the ability to quarantine all donated items. Initially, donation hours will be on Saturdays only, from 10:00am-3:00pm (not open on November 28 and December 26.
Here’s What To Expect
This process is new and during COVID-19, we are asking for your patience and understanding as we provide a way to donate your household items in a manner that is safe for our donors, volunteers, and staff. Cars will line up and proceed up the parking lot hill at the Community Center to the building’s main entrance, where bins will be stationed to collect donations. (On October 31, a separate lane will be established for voters dropping off ballots in the King County Ballot Box.) Please review the Accepted Donations list here as changes have been made.
- Drivers should follow each sign directing parking lot traffic at the Community Center and wait inside their vehicle.
- To promote physical distancing, unloading will be permitted one vehicle at a time. Please wait for your turn as staff beckon the next vehicle in line to come forward and unload your items.
- Properly fitted masks are required to be worn on site as you unload your items.
- The curbside at the front of the community center will be organized with donation carts under a large tent. Each cart will be labeled with different categories for you to distribute your items. All items must fit and be placed inside one of the carts provided. Due to COVID-19 protocols, staff and volunteers cannot handle your items until they have been quarantined and sanitized.
- Donation receipts will be available electronically. To retrieve your receipt, open the camera of your smartphone to scan the QR code, or print one yourself from the Thrift Shop website.
- Exit the parking lot following the signs.
Tips For An Efficient Experience
To help everyone get through the dropoff line in an efficient manner, please consider organizing your donations ahead of time. Note that furniture, bikes, and large appliances are NOT accepted at this time, nor are large truckloads of miscellaneous items. Here is a list of donation cart categories in which you’ll be asked to separate your items:
- Books, DVD’s & CD’s
- Glassware & fragile items
- Home décor
- All other hard goods
For a full list of accepted items visit the Thrift Shop website here.