Reporting an Outage
The City does not own or manage powerlines. Contact Puget Sound Energy to report power outages and hear about service updates at 1-888-225-5773 or view their outage map (with estimated power restoration times) www.pse.com/outage/outage-map.
Please do not call 9-1-1 for non-emergency questions, such as power outage duration or reasons for the outage.
What to Do During a Power Outage
- Stay away from downed power lines and sagging trees with broken limbs.
- If you encounter downed power lines and no signage or utility crews in the area, call 9-1-1.
- Turn off lights and electrical appliances except for the refrigerator and freezer. (Did you know? A closed refrigerator will stay cold for up to 12 hours.)
- Turn light switches and buttons on lamps or appliances to the “off” position.
- Unplug computers and other sensitive equipment to protect them from possible power surges when the power is restored.
- Leave one lamp on so you will know when power is restored. (Best Practice: Wait at least 15 minutes after power is restored before turning on other appliances.)
- Never use gas ovens, gas ranges, barbecues or portable or propane heaters for indoor heating. They use oxygen and create carbon monoxide that can cause suffocation.
- Use battery-operated flashlights or glow sticks for lighting vs. candles.
- Have alternate plans for refrigerating medicines or using power-dependent medical devices.
- Be a good neighbor. Check on the welfare of others.